Save the date
Forum homepage: http://www.vapausjavastuu.fi/in-english/forum-102020/
- 22.10.2020 Informal programme (TBA) and get together in the evening.
- 23.10.2020, 9–16. Forum.
Venue: Helsinki, Sivistyskulma. Bulevardi 21.
Towards planetary responsibility in adult education
The growing environmental, social, economic and political problems are at the same time local and planetary and require local and planetary solutions. Although the meanings and practices of adult education differ across locations, they all contribute to the distribution of wellbeing, justice and equality between inhabitants of the earth. The UN sustainable development goals are widely adopted into policies and strategies of governments and educational policies, but educational initiatives still focus predominantly on childhood and youth and institutions of early childhood and compulsory education. The forum discusses the potential of adult education, especially popular/liberal/non-formal adult education, to tackle urgent and integrated environmental, social, economic and political problems, taking into account its diverse, often opposing interpretations and positions in different places. The forum aims at identifying joint “issues of concern” and strategies for developing agendas for joint activities in the future. It invites interested researchers cross disciplines, practitioners and policy makers cross sectors, and artists and activists to
- share understanding and knowledge about the potential of adult education to address environmental, social, economic and political problems.
- suggest theoretical, practical and political interpretations in adult education – such as eco-social edification -, which problematize its human- and Euro-centered legacies.
- share experiences and good practices in combatting local and planetary sustainability problems in adult education.
- develop joint initiatives for future collaboration among different actors cross disciplines, sectors and places.
Contact: Björn Wallén (chair of the Finnish Adult Education Association/Freedom and Responsibility of Popular adult education programme), bjorn.wallen[at]sivistystyo.fi
CALL FOR PAPERS
Abstract submission: 1.8.–20.9.2020.
Proposal for presentation consists of the title of your presentation, an abstract of 300-500 words, and your contact information (name, title, organization, and e-mail address).
Notification of acceptance: 30.9.2020.